Migrating from Innovation to Entrepreneurship is out of print. A revised version will be available as an e-book later this year.
(LAST UPDATED: MAY 31, 2016)
“Jerr Boschee was teaching us about social enterprise before most people even knew what it was. Read Jerr’s Journal: You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll ponder, but most of all you’ll keep fighting on behalf of the common good.” (KEVIN LYNCH, Immediate Past President, Social Enterprise Alliance)
“Jerr Boschee has been an inspiration and pathfinder for social entrepreneurs all over the world. If you are serious about wanting to make a difference through social enterprise, you have to read Jerr’s work.” (LIAM BLACK, author, The Social Entrepreneur’s A to Z)
“Jerr’s Journal is storytelling at its best. His book is a remarkable learning tool.” (KATIE BURNHAM LAVERTY, President, Society for Nonprofit Organizations; publisher, Nonprofit World magazine)
“Jerr’s Journal should be renamed The Gospel of Social Enterprise According to Jerr! The only thing that cheered me up after learning he was discontinuing his blog was that he had combined all 44 monthly essays into this free e-book.” (SUZANNE SMITH, Founder and Managing Director, Social Impact Architects)
“You won’t find a more accessible or practical source on the meaning and power of social enterprise. Jerr’s adventures are sure to inspire yours.” (MARC LANE, author, The Mission-Driven Venture: Business Solutions to the World’s Most Vexing Social Problems)
“Jerr is a true master and his long history of experiences are invaluable not only for budding graduates but also for those who have been in the field for years.” (MARGARET WEBER, Professor Emeritus and Retired Dean, Graduate School of Education and Psychology, Pepperdine University)
Thank you for visiting our website!
Some of the key features on the site include:
* "A “Philanthropy Hour” podcast featuring an interview with Institute Founder and Executive Director Jerr Boschee with Greg Cherry in August 2015: Please click here
* Pro bono coaching services, including "A Day with Jerr," a six-hour session offered each year in four to six different cities. Each session is attended by a single representative from six different social enterprises: Please click here for pro bono coaching information.
* A ten-minute video conversation between Institute Executive Director Jerr Boschee and John Bennett, a veteran social enterpriser and former head of WISEA (Wales Ireland Social Entrepreneurship Alliance): Please click here.
* An overview of social enterprise that contains key definitions, descriptions of the three basic types of social enterprises, a case statement for investment in the field, a review of the origins of the movement in the United States, and 40 examples of successful social enterprises. Institute Executive Director Jerr Boschee served as principal author, assisted by Lisa Nitze and Corinne Gray. Please click here.
* And a variety of information, education and training resources to help you launch or grow your social enterprise. Please click on the items below or on the tabs to the left for additional information.
Website templates created by JeanaDesign.com: 859-351-4292
FOUNDER AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Jerr Boschee, 71, has been an advisor to social entrepreneurs in the United States and elsewhere for more than 35 years. He has delivered keynote speeches or conducted master classes in 43 states and 21 countries and has long been recognized as one of the founders of the social enterprise movement worldwide. He has also been a senior marketing executive for a Fortune 100 company, managing editor for a chain of regional newspapers, a Peace Corps Volunteer in India, and a guest lecturer at numerous academic institutions, including Cambridge, Carnegie Mellon, Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Northwestern, Oxford, Pepperdine, Stanford, Ulster and others.
Jerr is the former President and CEO of The National Center for Social Entrepreneurs, is one of the six co-founders of the Social Enterprise Alliance, and was named by The NonProfit Times to its nonprofit sector “Power & Influence Top 50” lists in 2004, 2005 and 2006. He served from 2001 to 2004 as an advisor to England’s Department of Trade and Industry Social Enterprise Unit, and is Executive Director of The Institute for Social Entrepreneurs, which he created in 1999.
Mr. Boschee currently teaches the two-semester capstone course in Pepperdine University's "Social Entrepreneurship and Change" Master's Degree program. Each of the students creates a business plan for a social enterprise of his or her choosing.
In addition to his most recent book, Jerr's Journal: My Adventures in Social Enterprise, he is the author or editor of six previous books, including Boschee on Marketing, The Social Enterprise Sourcebook, and the award-winning Migrating from Innovation to Entrepreneurship: How Nonprofits are Moving toward Sustainability and Self-Sufficiency. His work has appeared in numerous anthologies and been translated into seven languages.
Jerr is the former Board Chair for SAGEGlobal (“Students for the Advancement of Global Entrepreneurship”), which supports high school social entrepreneurs in more than 20 countries, and has served on numerous local, national and international Boards throughout his career.
Please click here for his complete biography.
Which version would you like to download?PDF Version (1.2 megs)